recovery of zone data from a dynamic upated zone when the server goes down

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 7 20:28:24 UTC 2001

> For a dynamically updated zone (using Solaris 5.8 bind 8.2.2-P5 on master
> nameserver), how would you recover the dns data if the master server goes
> down or crashes???
>
> Since the db files on disk do not contain the latest nsupdates how do you
> recover if the system goes down.. In previous mail message, the up-to-date
> dns zone data is in a "non-volatile storage location".  Is this cache???
> When you send a nsupdate command it immediately goes here from my
> understanding..So where is this location and how do you back it up ?

In BIND 8, the .log file contains a record of all of the updates that the
name server has received since it last wrote the zone data file.  When a
BIND 8 name server rewrites the zone data file, it removes the .log file.
If a BIND 8 name server starts and notices a .log file, it'll apply the
changes in the .log file to the zone data file to reconstruct the last
state of the zone.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes