use a domain in an A record?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 7 23:25:16 UTC 2001

> good answers. here's the more specific question:
>
> ok, how can I configure my zone when i'm using DHCP?  I have a
> domain that
> resolves resolves through my ISP but want to use my own domain.
> Currently I have:
>
> breakfast.ca IN A 24.102.231.139
>
> but that IP will change constantly when I switch to DHCP
> (required now by my
> ISP).  cr428903-b.rchrd1.on.wave.home.com will always resolve to
> my IP and I
> have that listed as my nameserver in my Registrar.  This way, all
> loookups for
> breakfast.ca will get forwarded to my comupter.  However I have a
> mail server,
> ftp etc. set up on mail. ftp. etc... that I want to resolve.
>
> Other than setting my timeouts on the zone file to 0 and having a
> script change
> the zone file to reflect my new IP each time it changes (not sure
> how often it
> will end up changing -- might depend on how often I reboot my
> computer) and
> re-running named.... any way i can get this to work?

That's one way.  You could also use dynamic update to change
the address breakfast.ca points to.  That wouldn't require
reloading the name server.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes