sysquery errors (different, i think)

Tyler Frederick tyler at sportsline.com
Thu Nov 8 15:08:13 UTC 2001

Well, I could do so I suppose if really necessary, but get this.  While
scanning my named.conf just now for errors (which I've done before many
times when this problem first started) .. I noticed this.. We have a
couple of text lines at the top of the conf file, indicating the name
server name, etc.. Commented out "c-style" with /* slash/asterisk */
notation.  Like this:

/*
 * ns1 named.conf
 */

Well, it looked as though someone deleted the first slash, so the top of
my /etc/named.conf looked like this:

*
 * ns1 named.conf
 */

Now that to me looks like it would cause an error and not allow bind to
start at all (or at least give me an error about config file syntax),
but that's the thing, it loads SOME times, and doesn't others
(restarting over and over will get it to start) unless an asterisk in a
config-file is a legitimate config entry or something.

I've just corrected this error (can't believe I missed it before posting
to the list) and we'll see what happens.  If ya'll would still like my
named.conf, I'll get it to anyone that wants to help, but I'd rather not
post it to the world. :-)

--
Tyler J. Frederick <tyler at sportsline.com>
Security/Network Engineer, CCSE