bind9 zone transfers with rsync

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 17:28:09 UTC 2001

chris wrote:

> I'd like to use rsync, and I'd like to have BIND execute
> it instead of cron, any suggestions?

Since your presumably triggering an "rndc" to reload the zones
locally after whatever change is being made, why not use this
trigger to call rsync? Check of course that the reloaded BIND is
working before transferring the changes to other servers.

Why specifically do you want BIND to call the program? The only
thing I can think of is that your using dynamic DNS, but then
you have the complication of the zone files only being updated
at specific intervals, and it is probably easier just to use
IXFR, secured with TSIG.