bind9 zone transfers with rsync

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Nov 8 23:53:22 UTC 2001

At 11:53 AM 11/8/01, chris wrote:

>I am running BIND 9.1.3 on UNIX.
>
>I know named-xfer is now part of named, but there is also no way that I
>can find to specify a special program for named-xfer in BIND 9.  It logs:
>
>option 'named-xfer' is obsolete
>
>and ignores my program.

named-xfer does not exist in BIND 9 as the functionality is now integrated
into named.  The message is correct.

>   In BIND 9 you could write a shell script to run
>rsync or something to do the transfer, now all I can do is cron it when it
>probably should transfer the zone, and configure BIND to treat it like a
>master zone (oh ya, and reload after each transfer).  I know I can use
>ixfr for similar results, but I don't know if I can use that in this
>particular case.  I'd like to use rsync, and I'd like to have BIND execute
>it instead of cron, any suggestions?

I assume that you meant BIND 8.  This does not apply in BIND 9 and you
can't do it this way. If you use the slave option in named.conf, named will
transfer the zone when it receives a NOTIFY message from the master
or when it checks to see that needs to refresh the zone. There is no need
for cron or rsync or anything else, it's all automatic. If this is not working
you should report the problem.

         Danny