Is the order in which nameservers are in the root-servers important?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 9 17:49:10 UTC 2001

> Can anyone tell me if it is important whether ns1 (the primary
> nameserver) is the first one in the list of nameservers I provide to
> my registrar? Because when I do a lookup of the nameserver-information
> in the rootserver I get them returned in random order.

No, the order isn't important for most name servers.  BIND name
servers, for example, will try your name server in a random
order until they've tried them all, and then will favor the one
that has responded the fastest.

> If it is important, is there a way I can get the current nameservers
> for a domain from the root-server in the correct order? I know I can
> find them in the correct order in the Whois, but would like to be able
> to get them somewhere else...

No, because there is no "correct order."

> If you could also tell me why the order is important, that would of
> course be a plus :)

It's not.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes