Name Server Behind Router

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 9 21:42:43 UTC 2001

> Please humor me on this one.
>
> 1 - I have a DSL line coming into my home, with one IP address, let's call
> it 4.43.123.213.
>
> 2 - The modem runs to a router, which then branches off to several
> computers.
>
> 3 - One of them is a FreeBSD 4.4 server (a new, clean install) with
> named/BIND installed, but not configured nor running. The
> server's IP behind
> the router is 10.0.0.102.
>
> 4 - I want to be able to use that server as a name server. However, I have
> tried a few different things and I cannot seem to get it configured and
> running correctly.
>
> 5 - My /etc/rc.conf file has a line that says: ifconfig_fxp0="inet
> 10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> Can someone offer general tips or even specific tips if you can, to how I
> should set this all up. i.e. Should I use DHCP to assign IP addresses via
> the router or not? What about the IP addresses? How does the name
> server get recognized by the outside world? What should my rc.conf files
> look like? I'm
> currently reading through O' Reilly's book on DNS and BIND, but I'd like
> some interactive feedback as well. Thanks in advance!

I'd run dhcpd on the FreeBSD box to assign internal IP addresses.  If
you run the ISC's DHCP server, you can configure it to dynamically
add forward and reverse mappings for your DHCP clients.

To query name servers on the outside world, you don't need to do anything
special.  You'll need to use NAT for your internal systems if you're using
net 10, anyway; that'll take care of the name server, too.

If you want to delegate one or more zones to your name server, then you'll
need to make sure external name servers can query your name server at some
legitimate IP address.  You can use NAT to do that, too.

rc.conf doesn't need to contain much more than "named_enable="YES" to
get the name server to start.  Most of the magic is in the named.conf
file.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes