bind9 zone transfers with rsync

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Nov 9 22:39:54 UTC 2001

At 02:08 PM 11/9/01, chris wrote:
> >       It really is not that hard to work
> >       out how to do this.
> >
> >       rsync ... && rndc ... reload zone

In BIND 8 this would have been

rsync ... && ndc ... reload zone

Which is one character less!

>This seems like more of a work around for the missing functionality, I
>said in my original post I was able to write a cron job to rsync and
>reload, but as Barry pointed out here:

What missing functionality?  named-xfer was always a part of named.  It is
now an integral part of named instead of a separate program. It was never
designed to be used the way you are using it and there is no need for
you to do this.  You don't need these work-arounds since zone transfers
are an integral part of named.  If you want to reduce the cost of a zone
transfer (particularly if it is a large zone), you specify in your named.conf
to use IXFR which will only transfer the rrsets that have changed. Doing what
you are doing means you should be specifying your slave as a master, but
there's no need for that since all the functionality is builtin.

You shouldn't be trying to specify djbdns-isms in BIND. They are different
programs and djbdns has more requirements like this, while BIND needs
none; you just specify what you need in named.conf.

         Danny