bind hack

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 13 02:30:44 UTC 2001

> many thanks for responding....
>
> is it normal to get these all that frequently?

	Yes and no.  I find it strange that people care enough to
	get the reverse zones delegated in the first place then refuse
	to maintain them.

	If you have a web server and it is logging access by name (not IP)
	then it will generate a lot of reverse lookups.

> we don't have anything else in the messages file.. just this. tons of
> it and all the time since we started bind 9.1  3 days ago... every second
>
> the reason we are on alert is because we had another machine running bind
> 8.2 compromised and hackers got in through the bind server...
> the hacker generates so much tcp traffic that virtually shuts down the hole
> network where our machine is colocated....
>
> so we are paranoid now about this new bind and machine and think that this
> new one is under attack too...

	Just make sure you that you only offer recursive service to the
	clients that you expect to.

> i'm attaching a text file with a copy of a small section of our message
> file....
>
> how exactly is this affecting our clients?

	Usually it just slows things down.  But depending upon access
	controls it can cause them to be denied access.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org