Authoritative answers from non-authoritative servers

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Nov 14 00:13:42 UTC 2001

> I thought the general rule was that only authoritative servers should
> provide authoritative answers to queries.

That rule is too new to be general yet.  :-)

> While looking at resolution for some .co.uk domains I came across
ns0.ja.net
> which is authoritative for .co.uk. and noticed that it also seems to claim
> to be authoritative for my domain carlander.ac.
>
> But I have neither included it in my NS records, nor given it access for
> A/IXFRs, nor refered to it in any delegations.
>
> Have I missed something or are they "adding value" ?

They're probably running a BIND 8 name server that accepts
recursive queries.  BIND 8 name servers mark answers that
they "relay" directly from the authoritative name servers as
authoritative.  BIND 9 name servers mark the same answers
as non-authoritative.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes