Split DNS/ VPN Split tunnelling

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Wed Nov 14 05:58:21 UTC 2001

	I haven't heard of this behaviour either.  Cisco's
	VPN solution, and definition of "split tunneling" is
	that the VPN concentrator provides the client with
	a list of secured routes, basically all the networks
	that are considered "internal", or part of the corporate
	network.  If your packets' destination address falls
	in one of the secured networks, it is sent across
	the VPN, otherwise your regular default route applies.

	The way this affects DNS depends.  The VPN concentrator
	provides a list of DNS servers for the client to use.
	The way we set it up at my company was to setup BIND
	servers that did type forward zones for all zones that
	were considered "internal" to the company.  These zones
	were forwarded in to the internal company DNS servers. Everything
	else was recursively resolved by the VPN DNS servers
	with internet root hints.  Pretty much everything in the
	company that can be accessed from the internet, can also
	be accessed internally, using the internal dns servers,
	with internally routeable addresses.

-Tim