One IP Address and multiple domain names

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Nov 14 23:06:49 UTC 2001

In article <9sursr$dho at pub3.rc.vix.com>, HS <herve.schlecht at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>In the reverse zone can I declare the same address with two different domain
>name :
>ip_address1    IN    PTR    www.domain1.com
>ip_address1    IN    PTR    www.domain2.com

You can, but you don't have to, and I don't recommend it.  Just pick one (I
suggest using the one that matches the name that the machine uses for
itself).

>If I take this information in my reverse zone that are the response I
>receive if I take an reverse resolution for the ip-address1 ?

Reverse resolution will return both names.  If the application is just
doing reverse resolution so that it can display a name to the user it will
probably use the first one it gets, and if the nameserver performs
round-robin it could be a different one each time.  That's why I don't
recommend having multiple PTR records -- it causes non-deterministic
behavior.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA