BIND 9/8 Question DDNS Question

Richard Phillips richphillips at lucent.com
Fri Nov 16 00:05:47 UTC 2001

Cricket,
	Actually these are  methods of control that are currently in place for the
"company.com" zone.  In the situation described below the DHCP server is
defined in the "allow-update" control field.

Scenario:

Let's just say that you enable DHCP on your servers.  Define them manually,
so that they have the same IP address all the time.  Mail.company.com =
10.10.10.100

Now let's say that I plug into the same network, and my workstation name is
mail.  I now get a DHCP offered lease of 10.10.10.250, and a DHCP offered
domain of company.com.  What is my FQDN??  Won't it be mail.company.com??
Won't we now have a round robin for mail.company.com??  What would prevent
this from happening?? Even if I was not in the same network as the original
mail server, wouldn't this work if I was served by the same DHCP server.
This is due to the fact that the DHCP server is authorized to update the
zone via the "Allow-update" parameter, right??

mail.company.com	10.10.10.100
mail.company.com	10.10.10.250
(Won't I now get, due to the round robin, 50% of the hits??)

So now I plug, without releasing my address, I plug into a different network
that is serviced by the same DHCP server, and I get the following offer:  IP
= 10.20.100.200 Domain = company.com.  Won't it now create an additional
record in the round robin??

mail.company.com	10.10.10.100
mail.company.com	10.10.10.250
mail.company.com	10.20.100.200
(Won't I now get, due to the round robin, 33% of the hits??)

End of Scenario:

Am I making too much of this, or is there a mechanism that prevents this
from happening??  Or is this scenario the responsibility of the organization
to ensure that NO ONE has the capability to provide similar names within a
given zone??

Rich