failed NT4 zone transfers

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Nov 16 04:36:23 UTC 2001

At 06:23 PM 11/15/01, Kimberly O'Brien/OTT/OTI wrote:
>15-Nov-2001 17:51:14.000 xfer-in: Err/TO getting serial# for "vame.net"
>15-Nov-2001 18:10:14.000 xfer-in: Err/TO getting serial# for "vame.net"
>
>In addition, here's the zone file from the master:
>
>$ORIGIN vame.net.
>$TTL    24h
>@       24h IN SOA      bapa.oti.com. infott.oti.com. (
>                         2000102501      ;Serial
>                         3h              ;Refresh
>                         1h              ;Retry
>                         7d              ;Expire
>                         3h )            ;NXDOMAIN cache TTL
>
>                 IN NS   bapa.oti.com.
>                 IN NS   mumu.oti.com.
>
>vame.net.        IN MX            10 www.oti.com.
>www                IN CNAME  www.oti.com.

The serial number is too big.  There are 3 0's in the 'year'. This makes
the serial
number need more than 32 bits which is invalid. You need to reset your
serial number to get this to work. Since you are apparently using a private
address space, you can probably get away with just changing it on the master
and then wiping out the zones on the slaves, forcing them to refetch the zone
anyway. I'm surprised the other slave didn't complain about the serial number.

         Danny