Timeouts

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Nov 19 17:45:45 UTC 2001

> Our internet services are going to be affected by a building wide
> power down
> for a full electrical systems check - this includes taking the emergency
> generator down.
>
> Because of this I want to redirect all web requests via DNS to a server
> hosted off site.
>
> Our primary DNS server is hosted on site and will be powered down but the
> secondary server is hosted off site on a totally seperate network.
>
> How's the best way of going about this?
>
> The outage will be from 5pm Saturday until 12 mid-day Sunday at
> worst but I
> want all web sites to stay operational with a single placeholder
> apologising for the outage (Which I have ready and waiting).

I'd just make the change to the primary master early enough to be
sure that the slave got the modified copy of the zone.  You might
want to arrange to have another offsite slave, too.

The outage doesn't sound long enough to give your slave any
problems, unless the zone's expire time is set really low.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes