Inconsistent reverse lookup problem

Glenn Gillis glenn at elaw.org
Wed Nov 21 01:02:45 UTC 2001

After changing ISPs recently I've gotten stuck attempting to troubleshoot a
reverse lookup problem at my site and am having absolutely no luck getting to
the root of the problem. I hoping someone on the list can spot something I'm
missing. Essentially, the problem is that outside sites seem to be able to
successfully perform reverse lookups on our address range, 206.163.65.80/28, but
from within my network I can't seem to successfully do reverse lookups on part
of the range. (Yes, the opposite of most reverse lookup problems that show up
here).

I've verified that both my ISP and a peer at a local university can use nslookup
under Windows NT 4 to resolve, e.g., 206.163.65.85 and 206.163.65.90 to host
names. From inside my network, however, 206.163.65.90 resolves properly but
206.163.65.85 returns NXDOMAIN. I've tried this using nslookup on a Win 2K pro
machine and a WinNT4 box, and dig and nslookup on a freeBSD 4.3 box all with the
same result. In all, 206.163.65.81 through .89 won't resolve while 206.163.65.90
through .93 will. All of the machines are behind sonicwall soho firewalls but
only some of them are NATed. I can't find anything in the sonicwall
configuration that could possibly be messing with DNS resolution.