named.conf in wrong directory

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Nov 21 01:37:28 UTC 2001

    Tony> Hi, Just installed bind 8.2.4. I did specify in the
    Tony> Makefile.set that named.conf should be in /var/named

    Tony> After install, and tried to start ndc. I get the message
    Tony> that it cannot find named.conf in /etc

    Tony> Why is ndc looking for named.conf in /etc?

It's not. named is. Your change to Makefile.set didn't work so the
name server picked up /etc/named.conf as the default pathname for its
configuration file. You probably changed some Makefile.set file after
compiling BIND, which was too late because some default pathnames get
hard-coded into the executables.

    Tony> how can i change it to look from /var/named?

Try doing a "make clean", then delete the .settings file, then amend
the relevant Makefile.set to reflect your local prejudices. After
that, rebuild and install the software. Or just make /etc/named.conf a
symlink to /var/named/named.conf. Or start again with 8.2.5.