Hosting eight domains, one not working, configuration seems OK

Ronald Landheer ronaldlandheer at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 22 09:30:12 UTC 2001

Hello list,

I hope this is the right list to be sending this to -
the one for Named. If not, please redirect this, and
me, to the proper list.

The server I'm admin of is hosting eight different
domains: afdesi.org, bleuciel-lingerie.com,
minisat.com, hallab.com, minisat.net, minisat.org,
rhallab.com and tripoli-city.org. The server itself is
running RedHat Linux 7.0, and has bind-8.2.2_P7-1
installed. Everything was fine and dandy until 1600
yesterday.

Yesterday, at 1600, I added a cvs alias to the
named.nethosts file and restarted named (#
/etc/init.d/named restart). Since then, named refuses
to server anything in the minisat.net domain.
I've copied the zonefile of minisat.net to minisat.org
to see if it was a problem in the zone file -
apparently, it wasn't, as the minisat.org domain works
just fine.
I've also tried the inverse - it didn't help.

I'm listing /etc/named.conf, /var/named/named.nethosts
/etc/resolv.conf /etc/hosts and /etc/host.conf below.
I've read the net howto and the DNS howto on this
subject, but couldnot find anything that helped. I've
searched Google for the SERVFAIL message I get with
dig (output listed as well), and got two possibilies:
either it's looping back on itself, or it's out of
memory. My guess would be the first, as the server is
almost without a job and reasonably well equipped for
what it does and as the output from dig seems to point
in that direction..

If anybody has any pointers, please help. I'm at a
loss, and nobody here with any knowledge of Linux
(granted, there aren't that many of 'em here) sees
anything wrong either..

Thanx

Ronald

-- BEGIN /etc/named.conf --
root at hotbird:/root>cat /etc/named.conf
// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and
nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the
query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND
always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses
an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
};

// root domain
zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

// local domain (not public)
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
        allow-update { none; }
};

// our first public domain
zone "minisat.net" {
        type master;
        file "named.nethosts";
};

// bleuciel-lingerie.com
zone "bleuciel-lingerie.com" {
        type master;
        file "named.bleuciel-lingerie";
};

// tripoli-city.org
zone "tripoli-city.org" {
        type master;
        file "named.tripoli-city";
};

// minisat.com
zone "minisat.com" {
        type master;
        file "named.comhosts";
};

// minisat.org
zone "minisat.org" {
        type master;
        file "named.orghosts";
};

// afdesi.org
zone "afdesi.org" {
        type master;
        file "named.afdesi";
};

// hallab.com
zone "hallab.com" {
        type master;
        file "named.hallab";
};

// rhallab.com
zone "rhallab.com" {
        type master;
        file "named.rhallab";
};
--- END /etc/named.conf ---
-- BEGIN /var/named/named.nethosts --
root at hotbird:/root>cat /var/named/named.nethosts
$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     hotbird.minisat.net.
root.hotbird.minisat.net. (
                        2001112202      ; serial
                        28800           ; refresh (8
hours)
                        7200            ; retry (2
hours)
                        691200          ; expire (8
days)
                        86400)          ; default TTL
(1 day)

                A       193.251.54.97
                MX      10 hotbird.minisat.net.
                NS      hotbird.minisat.net.
                NS      ns.beryte.com.

localhost       A       127.0.0.1
hotbird         A       193.251.54.97
www             CNAME   hotbird
mail            CNAME   hotbird
ftp             CNAME   hotbird

--- END /var/named/named.nethosts ---
-- BEGIN /etc/resolv.conf --
root at hotbird:/root>cat /etc/resolv.conf
search hotbird.minisat.net
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 193.251.19.3
nameserver 193.251.19.4
--- END /etc/resolv.conf ---
-- BEGIN /etc/hosts --
root at hotbird:/root>cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
10.0.0.138      alcatel
192.168.2.1     hotbird.minisat.net hotbird
192.168.2.2     nag
192.168.2.3     frederickl
192.168.2.4     nicolas
192.168.2.5     murielle
192.168.2.6     sebastien
192.168.2.7     xavier
192.168.2.8     boris
192.168.2.9     marie
192.168.2.10    bachir
192.168.2.11    linda
192.168.2.12    frederickf
192.168.2.13    marius
192.168.2.14    alexandre
192.168.2.15    isabelle
192.168.2.16    printserver1
192.168.2.17    audrey
192.168.2.18    masterdisk
192.168.2.19    astra   # This used to be Astra..
Might still be needed for lookups
192.168.2.19    mars
192.168.2.20    franck
192.168.2.21    souaad
192.168.2.22    portable1
192.168.2.23    ayman
192.168.2.24    davy
192.168.2.25    printserver2
192.168.2.26    mariel
192.168.2.27    marc
192.168.2.28    ronald drosophila
192.168.2.29    marcSUN
192.168.2.30    miguel
192.168.2.31    julien
192.168.2.32    francois
192.168.2.80    bachir
192.168.2.98    jukebox fileserver
194.98.108.15   orion   orion.minitelorama.com
--- END /etc/hosts ---
-- BEGIN /etc/host.conf --
root at hotbird:/root>cat /etc/host.conf
order hosts,bind
multi on
--- END /etc/host.conf ---
-- BEGIN output dig - test 1 --
root at hotbird:/root>dig www.minisat.net

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> www.minisat.net
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0,
ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.minisat.net, type = A, class = IN

;; Total query time: 81 msec
;; FROM: hotbird.minisat.net to SERVER: default --
127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 22 10:25:26 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 33

--- END output dig - test 1 ---
-- BEGIN output dig - test 2 --
root at hotbird:/root>dig +norec www.minisat.net
@localhost

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> +norec www.minisat.net @localhost
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id:
16351
;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2,
ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      www.minisat.net, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
minisat.NET.            1d23h10m51s IN NS
hotbird.minisat.NET.
minisat.NET.            1d23h10m51s IN NS
NS.BERYTE.COM.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
hotbird.minisat.NET.    1d23h10m51s IN A
193.251.54.97
NS.BERYTE.COM.          1d23h10m51s IN A
193.107.136.24

;; Total query time: 0 msec
;; FROM: hotbird.minisat.net to SERVER: localhost
127.0.0.1
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 22 10:25:55 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 125

--- END output dig - test 2 ---