Slave Updating Master

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 28 23:45:24 UTC 2001

If server X is just a slave, then why would anyone "add subdomains" to it? This
is very confusing. Do you have 2 masters for the same zone? Is X a slave to Y
for the zone? Or _vice_versa_? Please clarify.

If you have a normal master/slave setup, then whenever a subdomain is added to
the master, it will be reflected on the slave also once replication occurs.
Now, if you want the slave to automatically become *authoritative* for
subzones, that's another matter entirely, one which I normally refer to as
"slave auto-configuration". The DNS protocol provides no easy way to do slave
auto-configuration. What many folks do is use an out-of-band mechanism (e.g.
rsync-over-ssh) to periodically transfer a named.conf file (or just a fragment
of a named.conf file which is "include"d into the main file) from the master to
the slave(s). Just remember to reconfig and/or reload the nameserver(s) after
making any named.conf changes.

- Kevin