disabling caching of RBL queries

Brian Korver briank at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 29 05:24:23 UTC 2001

Kevin Darcy wrote:

> Brian Korver wrote:
>
> > I'm using bind8 and I'd like to configure it so that it doesn't cache
> > queries to the various RBL spam filtering databases.  How can I do
> > that?
>
> Upgrade to BIND 9 so that you can set max-cache-ttl to 0.
>
> If that slows everything down too much, then maybe you could have a
> separate machine with max-cache-ttl=0 and selectively forward the
> RBL names to it.
>
> Frankly, I doubt that it's worth it...
>
> - Kevin

Kevin,

By your comment regarding performance, I'm assuming that the 'max-cache-ttl'
will be a global ("options") setting, not something that can be set for
individual zones (say, "maps.vix.com")?

How does everyone currently prevent just the RBL queries from being cached?
Do people really have to set up 2 servers?  This is for my home net, so
that isn't a reasonable option.  :(

brian
briank at cs.stanford.edu