Help with Domain Registration

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Thu Nov 29 14:07:57 UTC 2001

This is not strictly a BIND issue, but I'm hoping for some
insight into my problem.

Our campus bookstore has set up an e-commerce site, using
the domain names ugabookstore.com, ugabookstore.org, and
ugabookstore.net.  All of these domains are registered with
networksolutions.  The .net and .org domains work fine.
The .com domain doesn't work.  If you check the registrar,
you find that it looks fine.

[harold at panic harold]$ whois ugabookstore.com at whois.networksolutions.com
[whois.networksolutions.com]
---disclaimer snipped---

Registrant:
UGA-Auxiliary Services (UGABOOKSTORE-DOM)
   1088 S. Lumpkin St.
   Athens, GA 30602
   US

   Domain Name: UGABOOKSTORE.COM

   Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
      Smith,Jay  (SJ3460-ORG)  jaysmith at ARCHES.UGA.EDU
      UGA-Auxiliary Services
      1088 S. Lumpkin St.
      Athens , GA 30602
      US
      706.542.7004
      Fax- 706.542.6996
   Technical Contact:
      Pritchett, Harold C  (HCP1)  harold at UGA.EDU
      The University of Georgia
      Computer Services Annex
      Athens, GA 30602-1911
      (706) 542-3135 (FAX) (706) 542-0349

   Record last updated on 14-Nov-2001.
   Record expires on 18-May-2003.
   Record created on 18-May-2000.
   Database last updated on 28-Nov-2001 21:55:00 EST.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   DNS1.UGA.EDU                 128.192.1.9
   DNS2.UGA.EDU                 128.192.1.193

However, if you check the GTLD servers, you find that the
registration is incomplete.  They don't know about the
two nameservers.

[harold at panic harold]$ dig @a.gtld-servers.net ugabookstore.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net ugabookstore.com
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ugabookstore.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com.                    1D IN SOA       A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.
nstld.verisign-grs.com. (
                                        2001112900      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 36 msec
;; FROM: panic.ucns.uga.edu to SERVER: a.gtld-servers.net  192.5.6.30
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 29 09:02:12 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 34  rcvd: 107

This was working, but seems to have stopped in the past few days.
The registration data shows that the domain doesn't expire until
may of 2003.  I tried to talk with a technical support person at
Network Solutions, and got nowhere.

To get an idea of what it should look like, here a dig for one
of the working domains.

[harold at panic harold]$ dig @a.gtld-servers.net ugabookstore.org

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> @a.gtld-servers.net ugabookstore.org
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ugabookstore.org, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
ugabookstore.org.       2D IN NS        DNS2.UGA.EDU.
ugabookstore.org.       2D IN NS        DNS1.UGA.EDU.

;; Total query time: 34 msec
;; FROM: panic.ucns.uga.edu to SERVER: a.gtld-servers.net  192.5.6.30
;; WHEN: Thu Nov 29 09:05:42 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 34  rcvd: 79

Does anyone have any ideas about what we can do to get this
fixed? I've never had much luck with the folks at NS, even
back when they were internic.net.

Harold
--
Harold Pritchett
The University of Georgia     Computer Incident Response Team

   Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.