MS dynamic DNS supports static and dynamic entries in same zone?

Michael Kondrashin mkondrashin at apl.ru
Thu Nov 29 14:18:09 UTC 2001

> With DNS, many people have their files in some sort of revision
> control, such as RCS.  In addition, they have comments and maybe even
> some pretty formatting in the file to make it easier to read.  BIND
> certainly can allow DDNS to merge new entries into the existing files.
> However, for better configuration control, it is SUGGESTED [strongly]
> that dynamic entries be separate from static ones.

I have tried to setup static and dynamic addresses in one zone. Result was that BIND wrote updates into my static file.
    If I want to create different zones for static and dynamic addresses what will be with reverce DNS (PTR recodrs)? Should I arrange different subnets for dynamic and static addresses?

*.static.domain.com <-> 192.168.1.*
*.ddns.domain.com <-> 192.168.2.*

Am i right?

Can I use ddns in different zones (so BIND wont mix my files), but one subnet?

Best regards,
Michael Kondrashin