TTL of 6hrs for just 1 A record?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Fri Nov 30 03:47:51 UTC 2001

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 02:29:22PM +1100, Mark_Andrews at isc.org wrote:
> 	All records in a RRset should have the same TTL.  Servers enforce
> 	this either by minimizing all the TTL's in the RRset on load/
> 	reception and/or by discarding the RRset when any of the RRs in the
> 	RRset expire.  Only very old servers expire RRs individually.
>
> 	Different RRsets can have different TTLs.

In other words:

ichilton.co.uk.		6h	IN A	216.28.122.60
ns1.ichilton.co.uk.	1h	IN A	216.28.122.60
ns2.ichilton.co.uk.	1d	IN A	217.33.93.50

is fine.  But:

ichilton.co.uk.		6h	IN A	216.28.122.60
ichilton.co.uk.		1d	IN A	217.33.93.50
ichilton.co.uk.		1y	IN A	127.0.0.1

is bad in many ways [no, I don't think "1y" really works ;-)].

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B