Updating IP Automatically

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Fri Nov 30 03:54:50 UTC 2001

> I am running bind-8.2.5.
>
> I was wondering if there was a way of dynamicly updating the IP on an A
> record that I could incorporate into a shell/perl script which will be
> run on the dns server.
>
> I could quite easily write a perl script to change the file itself to
> update the ip, then reload named, but I would need to +1 to the serial
> which I would not know how to do.
>

> What I want to do, is run a script from cron which checks to see if my
> home ip has changed and if it has, update it.

Check out the Net::DNS Perl module, at

http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/perldns/

You can use it to send dynamic updates, which can do what
you want to do.
cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes