Allow Multiple-Cnames in BIND 9

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Fri Nov 30 23:51:33 UTC 2001

> Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net> wrote:
>
> In article <9u8jpu$qv3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Joseph S D Yao  <jsdy at center.osis.gov> wrote:
> >Your solution is better, except that RFC 952 still prohibits single-
> >character names [but I think that's been ignored before].
>
> Clearly: A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET, B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, etc.

FWIW, that's what I thought until someone pointed out that the 1985
RFC document referred to _hostname_ entries in the old HOSTS.TXT
table.  Therefore, the semanticists who appreciate phrases like
"It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is" would say that there's
a distiction to be made between a hostname entry in /etc/hosts and
a _domain name_ entry in the DNS, i.e., the justifying exception
for the root server names.

Andris Kalnozols