Domain without an A records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Oct 2 14:36:01 UTC 2001

In article <9pc58o$f57 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Bind Users <bind at time.net.my> wrote:
>Can it works for a domain without an A records (the sample is as below).
>it just for the SMTP services only. How about the lookup result?

Yes, this should work fine.  What rule are you worried that it might be
breaking?

If someone tries to look up the A record of domain.com it will fail, but
that's OK.  If someone is trying to send mail to user at domain.com, the
mailer will try to look up the MX record first; it only looks for an A
record if there's no MX record.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA