Intermittent outages

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 2 21:25:59 UTC 2001

John Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting this message in my logs, and I'm not sure what it means:
>
> localhost named[468]: sysquery: sendto([193.0.14.129].53): Network is
> unreachable

Named is just reporting what it gets from the lower levels of the
networking code. Looks like you have a connectivity problem of some sort.

> (Also, the IP address changes, I've seen 193.0.14.129 and
> 192.203.230.10)

Those are addresses of a couple of the Internet root nameservers. You're
apparently having problems talking to them.

> I'm running Bind 8.2.2 on RedHat Linux 6.2.

You should upgrade immediately. That version of BIND has horrible security
holes.

> I've also seen some intermittent downtime on the zones I host on that
> server, named is still running, but maybe one of my domain names is
> unaccessible, or maybe mail.domain.com is not available, yet
> www.domain.com is.
>
> I haven't been able to pin down a message in the logs that correlate
> with these mysterious outages, so I'm not sure what I can tell you about
> them.

These problems may be indirectly related to your connectivity problem. I'd
attack that one first.