logging NSTATS & XSTATS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Oct 2 22:01:31 UTC 2001

Vyacheslav V. Hraychenko wrote:

> Hi everybody!
> Does anybody know how to interpret USAGE, NSTATS, XSTATS fields in the log
> messages

Yes. :-)

> or where can I read about it?

Try the _DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly, Fourth Edition.

> Sometimes I get timeout at local PC when do nslookup to remote server. Is
> the server overloaded?

This could be caused by any number of things, including network congestion.

But, why are you doing lookups directly from a local PC to a remote server? You
should have your own local resolver/nameserver, which caches lookup results so
that you don't have to send queries over the WAN very often.