"can't find bounty.org: Non-existent host/domain"

Petro petro at bounty.org
Thu Oct 4 20:29:20 UTC 2001

Good day:

	I am experiencing a problem with BIND 8<mumble> running on an OpenBSD box. I suspect that it is in my zone file, as I am not a DNS Guru.

	The set-up is this, I have a box at the bottom of a really narrow pipe running BIND in a "shadow" or "hidden" primary configuration. Concentric, or rather "XO Communications" is acting at the visible primary for my domain (bounty.org).

	If one does a lookup for "www.bounty.org", one gets the appropriate ip (it's a cname to lists.bounty.org). If one is sending mail to petro at bounty.org, it gets delivered (indicating to me that the MX record is working properly). However if one just does a lookup on "bounty.org" using (the now deprecated, I understand) nslookup one gets "can't find bounty.org: Non-existent host/domain". If one uses dig, you get:
; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> bounty.org
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      bounty.org, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
bounty.org.             59m41s IN SOA   bounty.org. petro.bounty.org. (
                                        2000121501      ; serial
                                        1H              ; refresh
                                        30M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: world.anarchy.com to SERVER: default -- 63.147.25.37
;; WHEN: Thu Oct  4 13:16:37 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 28  rcvd: 70

My zone file looks like:

$ORIGIN bounty.org.
$TTL 2d
@               in      soa     bounty.org. petro.bounty.org. (
                                2001100303      ;serial
                                3600            ;refresh
                                1800            ;retry
                                604800          ;expiration
                                3600 )          ;minimum
                        in      ns              blackhole.bounty.org.
                        in      ns              nameserver.concentric.net.
                        in      ns              namserver3.concentric.net.
                1w      in      MX      10      lists.bounty.org.
lists           1w      in      a               208.176.30.19
loki            1w      in      a               208.176.30.22
blackhole       1w      in      a               208.176.30.19
death           1w      in      a               208.176.30.21
www             1w      CNAME                   lists
bounty.org.     1w      cname                   lists

Which I suspect has some mistakes in it.
(Oh, and notice the serial number is off, which could just be a timing issue.)

I appreciate any information you can provide concerning this.
--
"Remember, half-measures can be very effective if all you deal with are
half-wits."--Chris Klein