NSlookup results not the same as the data in named_dump.db
chad at jackson.co.za
Fri Oct 5 22:15:54 UTC 2001
I hope this works.
Ok I have checked that the resolv.conf is pointing to the right server, and
I have done a named-xfer from the secondary server, the transfer happens but
with the old data.
The following information might be duplicated, but I am going to insert it
Response to Chris
The domain is public an I am authoritive for the domain (uskotec.com) It
seems as if the problem goes further this domain it might be effecting my
entire server (about 1800 domains).
The specific address is for the www.uskotec.com the ns1 and ns2 show
18.104.22.168 as the address but in the dump_db and the zone file the address
is actually 22.214.171.124 which it should be. When I do a ndc restart the
log shows that the zone has loaded no errors and the db data shows what I
want. Also if I do a named-xfer to the temp directory on ns2 the data is the
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org]On
Behalf Of Barry Margolin
Sent: 05 October 2001 11:02
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
Subject: Re: NSlookup results not the same as the data in named_dump.db
In article <9pl6j1$ndo at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chad Jackson <chad at jackson.co.za> wrote:
>I am hoping there is a simple fix to my problem.
>I have updated a A pointer in a zone file, changed the serial and started a
>ndc reload. (process repeated many times today with the same results) If I
>dump the db and look for the info it is as it should be with the correct
>serial and correct ip address. So far so good, if I use nslookup -q=soa
>domain I get a serial which is still 2001052501, the dump shows 2001100601
>and the IP address is also wrong. Probably related to this the secondary
>does not update the info at all.
Are you sure that nslookup is querying the server you updated? Maybe your
/etc/resolv.conf is pointing to a different server, and that server decided
to query the slave server.
As for why the slave doesn't update, there could be a syntax error in the
zone file, which causes the master to become non-authoritative and blocks
zone transfers. Check your logs on the master and slave for warnings.
If you told us the domain and the addresses of the servers we could
probably tell you more. Without that info, we can only provide
generalities and you're on your own.
Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
More information about the bind-users