Can someone help with bind error message please

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Oct 8 02:37:15 UTC 2001

> I am trying to install a simple DNS caching server using Bind 8. I have
> followed the instruction of a tutorial and restarted bind with "ndc
restart"
> then i try and use "dig" to test the config but i get the below message:
>
> [root at fargo sbin]# dig -x 127.0.0.1
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> -x
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; res_nsend to server default -- 194.168.4.100: Connection refused
> [root at fargo sbin]#
>
> I know that 194.168.4.100 is my ISP's primary dns server but i don't know
> why i am getting this message??

Because you have 194.168.4.100 in your resolv.conf file.  If you want to
test your local caching name server, use:

dig @<IP address of local name server> -x 127.0.0.1

If you decide you want to use your local name server instead of your ISP's
name server, add a nameserver directive to resolv.conf telling your local
resolver to query your local name server first.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com