ixfr problem

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Oct 8 23:04:43 UTC 2001

> > You sure about that?  The Windows 2000 dynamic update routines send
their
> > updates to the name server listed in the MNAME field of the SOA record
of
> > the zone they need to update, not to the first name server listed in
their
> > resolver's
> > configuration.
>
> Some things I've heard from our local Microsoft techs implies that, at
least
> under some circumstances, Win2K will send updates to the "preferred
> nameserver", i.e. the first in the resolver list. Presumably (hopefully)
it
> then falls back to using the SOA.MNAME nameserver if that doesn't work.
This
> behavior probably depends a lot on how you configure the client...

I've never heard anything like that.  That would be completely non-
RFC compliant behavior, to say nothing of the fact that it wouldn't
generally work.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com

's no indication that this name server is part of an
internal root
environment at all.

cricket

Men & Mice