DNS header format for Query requests

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Tue Oct 9 15:47:03 UTC 2001

Sounds like the pesky CD bit (DNSSEC aware resolver) that Kevin so kindly
pointed out to me some time ago.
Marc TXK

                    James Raftery
                    <james-bind-use        To:     bind-users at isc.org
                    rs at now.ie>             cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     DNS header format for Query requests
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    09/10/2001
                    15:41

Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with a piece of equipment that
seems to be sending badly formed DNS queries. I need to get an accurate
description of the Header format for a Query request but the maze
of RFCs is melting my brain.

Is the Header format in RFC1035 still correct and complete for
Opcode 0 (Query) requests? I know it's been amended for other Opcodes,
Update for instance.

Specifically tcpdump is seeing Headers with the fourth byte set to
0x40: which mean the first ``Z'' bit is set. Have any of the Z bits
been defined for Query requests?

Thanks,
james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's

http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp