can reverse lookup but not name lookup

david.tansley at acelondon.co.uk david.tansley at acelondon.co.uk
Tue Oct 16 10:19:50 UTC 2001

Hi,

Installed bind 9.1.0 on linux 7.1. This is a private network, with no connection
to the internet.

I can reverse lookup all my entries in the revzone, but I cannot do a normal
name resolve on any of the hosts.
I can run rndc to re-load the zone OK, there are no errors in /var/log/messages.

When I try to resolv a name I get:
'connection timed out: no servers could be found'
Which is strange as I can reverse lookup OK using host. I

My named server is bumper on 192.168.1.10

Heres my named.conf file:
/ named,conf for bumper
options {
     directory "/var/named";
     query-source address 192.168.1.10 port 53;
     };
key "rndc_key" {
        algorithm       hmac-md5;
        secret "quL4b3iJ4VC5WHhNPOYVnw==";
};

controls {
inet 127.0.0.1 allow {localhost;} keys {rndc_key;};
};

// zone for bumper
zone "bumper.localdomain"{
     type master;
     file "bumper.zone";
};
// reverse
zone "1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
type master;
file "bumper.revzone";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
     type master;
     file "localhost.rev";
};

Here's the bumper.zone file ( named.db):
; bumper.zone
;
$TTL 86400
@       IN      SOA     bumper.localdomain. root.bumper.localdomain. (
               00000009        ; Serial
               10800          ; Refresh
               3600            ; Retry
               604800          ; Expire
               86400)         ; Minimum
; name server
               IN      NS      bumper.localdomain.
; local host
localhost           IN      A       127.0.0.1
bumper         IN   A    192.168.1.10
comet               IN   A    192.168.1.12
tester         IN   A    192.168.1.11

Any idea's please.

David.

CONFIDENTIALITY This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any
distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in
it is strictly prohibited. If you are not the named recipient(s), please notify
the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use
it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.