DSL > RH7.1 > 3 clients

Brian Salomaki brian at gambitdesign.com
Tue Oct 16 19:24:12 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 16 October 2001 11:20 am, Ralph wrote:
> Goal: to have RH7.1 bind be able to act as DNS for 3 clients, which
> can be accessed via the Internet. Specifically, i want to be able to
> type g4.policing.net into a bowser and see the page  :)
>
> My set-up is as follows:
>
> --->DSL (static IP)line-->router/firewall-->hub
>
> Going into the hub are 3 clinets and my RH box which is also my web
> server. My ISP is runing DNS and points to my domain name.

For what it's worth, I'm getting very sketchy connections to your ISP's DNS
servers...I can only reach NS1.pbi.net about half the time, and I still
haven't gotten through to ns2.pbi.net.

> My static IP# 66.120.123.xxx
>
> My RH box is 192.168.123.xxx
>
> My clients are 192.168.123.xxx
>
> I was using the bind-gui tool, which seemed to make sense, but met
> with negative results. I tried a couple of on-line exapmples,
> including one from RH, which also met with negative results. I was
> using my RH IS # as the number of the name server...should i be using
> the static IP#?
>
> Do i need to let my ISP know that i will be running DNS now?
> Did i misconfigure it?

You need to let your ISP know, but more importantly, you need to update your
host information with your registrar.  Another solution would be to have your
ISP slave off of your DNS server, and keep them as the visible authoritative
servers.  For that option, you need to let your ISP know.  Even if you do
change the host information with netsol, you should still get secondary
service either from your ISP or from an outside provider like secondary.com

> Here are the files listed in /var/named :
>
> 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.zone
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     localhost.      root.localhost (
>                         1 ; serial
>                         28800 ; refresh
>                         7200 ; retry
>                         604800 ; expire
>                         86400 ; ttk
>                         )
>

> @       IN      NS      localhost.
>
> 1       IN      PTR     localhost.
> 123.168.192.in-addr.arpa.zone
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     @       root.localhost (
>                         2 ; serial
>                         28800 ; refresh
>                         7200 ; retry
>                         604800 ; expire
>                         86400 ; ttk
>                         )
>

> @       IN      NS      ns1.pbi.net.
> @       IN      NS      ns2.pbi.net.
> @       IN      NS      www.policing.net.
>
> 197     IN      PTR     g4.policing.net.

This address information is in the private address sector, and will not be
routed over the internet.  As such, you don't want your ISP mirroring this
zone, you should only have it locally, and it will only work for resolution
behind your firewall.

> localhost.zone
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     @  root.localhost (
>                         1 ; serial
>                         28800 ; refresh
>                         7200 ; retry
>                         604800 ; expire
>                         86400 ; ttl
>                         )
>

> @       IN      NS      localhost.
>

> @       IN      A       127.0.0.1
> there are named.ca. and named.local too

> policing.net.zone
> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     @  root.localhost (
>                         2 ; serial
>                         28800 ; refresh
>                         7200 ; retry
>                         604800 ; expire
>                         86400 ; ttl
>                         )
>

> @       IN      NS      www.policing.net
> www     IN      NS      www.policing.net

This record is unnecessary, unless you want to make www a delegated
subdomain, and have another nameserver handle queries for something like
host.www.policing.net, probably not what you want.

once again, an MX record jusr for the origin (@) should suffice

> www     IN      A       192.168.123.xxx
> g4      IN      A       192.168.123.xxx

You need to specify your external IP address here.  As such, since you only
have one IP address, you will only be able to access one box from the
internet, unless you do some tricky firewall/NATing/etc, but this is not
something for BIND to do, you'll need to consult the manuals and help for
your firewall to do this.

--
Brian Salomaki
Gambit Design Internet Services