Rndc.Conf Syntax

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Tue Oct 16 20:40:18 UTC 2001

Godfried Duodu wrote:

> I would appreciate if someone will post a sample config file for rndc
> for controlling multiple nameservers.  I did create different keys for
> each server but placing them in the rndc.conf and named.conf files is
> generating error messages. Thanks in advance.

you can use the rndc-confgen utility if your version of bind has it.
it's that simple.  if not, use this one (but generate a new key :P)

you take the first part and put it in /etc/rndc.conf
uncomment the second bit and put it in /etc/named.conf

that's all.

jazz% rndc-confgen
# Start of rndc.conf
key "rndc-key" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "ck8kikay4Rdp7rNRsOF8rQ==";
};

options {
        default-key "rndc-key";
        default-server 127.0.0.1;
        default-port 953;
};
# End of rndc.conf

# Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed:
# key "rndc-key" {
#       algorithm hmac-md5;
#       secret "ck8kikay4Rdp7rNRsOF8rQ==";
# };
#
# controls {
#       inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
#               allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
# };
# End of named.conf

--
GPG Public Key: