Question about zone transfers

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Oct 18 14:41:47 UTC 2001

In article <9ql8aq$27n at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Gai Sum <mburr at programmer.net> wrote:
>I realize that it's common for one to get a zone transfer request from
>some script kiddie that's trying gain knowledge about your zone, but
>I've been getting frequent zone transfer requests from some legitimate
>corporate dns servers that to my knowledge have never been designated
>as slaves to our dns server.    What is the readers experience with
>such situations? Is it worth contacting the individuals responsible
>for the guilty servers? Could there be some obscure legitimate causes?

When you say "legitimate corporate dns servers", do you mean that they're
part of your corporation (i.e. in a different department)?  If so, they're
probably just trying to optimize inter-department lookups.

If they're in some other company, it could be a misconfiguration of some
kind.  You could try writing them to perform a sanity check.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA