Reverse Zone question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Oct 18 22:18:53 UTC 2001

In article <9qnigf$fkk at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Frank Durham <fdurham at nospam.sportsendeavors.com> wrote:
>Our netblock assigned to us from Timewarner is 216.54.200.0 - 216.54.200.15.

It looks like the ISP hasn't set things up properly for your subnet.  They
created the CNAME records, and delegated the subdomain
0-15.200.54.216.in-addr.arpa, but to their own servers:

0-15			1D IN NS	ins1.iplt.twtelecom.net.
			1D IN NS	ins1.milw.twtelecom.net.

Those NS records should point to your servers, not theirs, unless they're
configured as slaves of your server.  And in that case they should still
include your servers as well, unless you're a hidden primary.

>How do you set up a subnetted delegated reverse for this range.  Also I
>noticed that we are the only company that has been assigned in the
>216.54.200 range...  Can't I just use 200.54.216.in-addr.arpa?

No.  You may be the only customer using that class C today, but what about
tomorrow?

And either way, the ISP has to delegate the reverse domain to your servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA