Fwd: .info root servers responding in authority section, not answer section?

Richard Johnsson johnsson at hamilton.com
Sat Oct 20 04:37:51 UTC 2001

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, R. Scott Perry wrote:

<snip>
> > >Are both types of responses correct?  Why the inconsistency?  I checked a
> > >few RFCs (1034/1035/2181) and wasn't able to figure out what section
covers
> > >this.
>
> This answer is correct.  From RFC 1034, section 4.3.2, bullet 3:
>
>          b. If a match would take us out of the authoritative data,
>             we have a referral.  This happens when we encounter a
>             node with NS RRs marking cuts along the bottom of a
>             zone.
>
>             Copy the NS RRs for the subzone into the authority
>             section of the reply.  Put whatever addresses are
>             available into the additional section, using glue RRs
>             if the addresses are not available from authoritative
>             data or the cache.  Go to step 4.
>
> The server running on these machines is correctly returning a referral.
> Note also that BIND 9 has the same behavior.  BIND 8 returns NS records in
> the answer section, which is incorrect behavior.
>
> Brian

Regardless of which behavior is correct, my BIND 9.2.0rc7 gives SERVFAIL
when asked for NS records of declude.info. To me that says there's a bug in
BIND 9.2.0rc7 or the Nominum TLD servers or the declude.info data.

napa 36 #dig txt chaos version.bind

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0rc7 <<>> txt chaos version.bind
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.                  CH      TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.           0       CH      TXT     "9.2.0rc7"

;; Query time: 5 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 19 20:49:29 2001
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 51

napa 37 #dig ns declude.info

; <<>> DiG 9.2.0rc7 <<>> ns declude.info
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 34440
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;declude.info.                  IN      NS

;; Query time: 75 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Oct 19 20:49:37 2001
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 30