Inverse DNS with Multiple DNS servers

Mark A. Bialik mbialik at infinityhealthcare.com
Mon Oct 22 05:46:52 UTC 2001

Hello:

I'm a newbie to DNS administration and can't seem to find an answer to
what I think is a basic question; we are using Bind 9.

Example:
A company has two domains that they are authoritative for.  There are
two DNS servers, each authoritative for one domain.  There is an an
entire Class C domain being routed to this company from its upstream
ISP.

The upstream ISP has granted(?) in-addr.arpa resolution for this Class C
to an IP of one of the nameservers, say .3

The other name server is .5

My question:

Does .3 have to provide reverse mapping for .5?  In other words, if
domain1.com is served by .3 and domain2.com is served by .5, does .3
have to list the hosts in reverse for its own domain as well as those in
..5?

When I nslookup www.domain2.com, I get responses back fine.  But if I
nslookup this same host by IP it fails... since I assume I haven't
created the appropriate reverse listing on .3

Am I missing something real basic here?  How do I tell the world that .5
also provides reverse-mapping for domain2.com?

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Mark