Resolving without TLD

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Mon Oct 22 16:54:57 UTC 2001

	The resolver on the client machine will append it's default
	dns domain to any unqualified lookups.  Hence, if your domain
	is foo.com, a lookup for "smtnet" will end up trying "smtnet."
	and then, if that is unsuccessful, "smtnet.foo.com", and then
	any domains the client machine has configured in the domain
	suffix search lists (on a windows box), or under the search
	directive in the resolv.conf (on a unix box).

-Tim