Protocol used to transfer zone data

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Oct 25 16:15:01 UTC 2001

> I'm trying to figure out how zone data is transferred for master/slave
> servers.  I am reading that it's multicast, it's UDP, its TCP... Does
> anyone know for real, and hopefully able to point me to some RFC or
> something?

Zone transfers are mostly carried over TCP, though incremental zone
transfers can be carried over UDP.  They're unicast, not multicast.

You might find RFC 1995 interesting.  It describes incremental zone
transfer, but also mentions regular AXFR zone transfers.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com