Requesting Help

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Fri Oct 26 18:03:46 UTC 2001

Oscar Castro Nazar wrote:

> Dear Srs:
>
> We are having problems implementing IPTABLES, we have 1 PC as a Linux Server
> using Red hat 7.1, and we have the following configuration:
> * Webadmin 0.88
> * Apache 1.3.19
> * IpChains 0.80.6
> We need to use IPTABLES, this was installed on server since the begining,
> but when we try to run any command of  IPTABLES, the server lunch this
> errors:

ipchains and iptables are incompatable.  You cannot use both at the same
time on the same machine.  The error message below suggest that ipchains
is already running when you try to insmod the iptablems modules.

This is not a BIND issues and I suggest we take to private email.  I
have a script that I use to start iptables that I'll send you if you
would like.  It setup an internal net firewall for specific allowed
services and an NATed firewall for connection to the internet.  The
firewall is service specific and stateful.  Let me know what
distribution you are running.

Jim