backup mail server

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Wed Oct 31 05:00:27 UTC 2001

phrogg wrote:

> H, that's strange, cuz email seems to work fine... I'm not saying
> you're wrong, as I'm not a DNS god by any means... but it does seem to
> be working ok as a CNAME... *shrug*...  anyway, thanks...

bind won't load the zone a lot of times though (it will complain about
'CNAME and other errors' or something like that.  it's also specifically
prohibited in several RFCs.

in general it's best to avoid CNAMEs where possible, unless you
completely understand the situations where it's advisable to use them.

in general, using an A record instead is a bit cleaner, and will result
in less problems IMHO.

GPG Public Key:
http://infinitejazz.net/will/pgp/