TTL's and authority (long post)

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Wed Sep 5 13:55:06 UTC 2001

Gareth Hastings (ghastings at sc.rr.com) said, on [010904 15:57]:

> 1. Why do I get this error when using nslookup to check for MX record
> for my domain
>
> ]# nslookup
> > set query=mx
> > www.gshock.co.uk
> Server:         194.168.8.100
> Address:        194.168.8.100#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> www.gshock.co.uk        canonical name = gshock.co.uk.
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> gshock.co.uk
>         origin = uk2net.com.
>         mail addr = hostmaster.gshock.co.uk.
>         serial = 2001090222
>         refresh = 43200
>         retry = 3600
>         expire = 604800
>         minimum = 86400

What error? www.gshock.co.uk is a cname for gshock.co.uk, as nslookup
has told you. It thus cannot have an MX record associated with it.

> 2. If I add a new sub domain like files.gshock.co.uk on both name
> servers, restart them why can't people resolve this ? They get NXDOMAIN
> errors but any machine on my LAN can resolve them fine.

Sounds like you added the zone to named.conf but did not delegate it
from gshock.co.uk. Add an NS record for files.gshock.co.uk.

I do note that your two listed name servers report different serial
numbers for gshock.co.uk. You'll need to fix your delegation problems
before anything will work reliably.

-Pete