Configuring stub zones

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 5 18:18:09 UTC 2001

In article <9n5pst$k6p at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
 <matthew.harding at hrdc-drhc.gc.ca> wrote:
>Yes, this works fine and is a much more elegant scenario. I don't know why I
>was thinking stub zones.
>
>When would type stub zones be appropriate?

Stub zones are appropriate when it's likely that the nameservers for the
subdomain will change and you don't want to have to update the delegation
records manually every time.

But IMHO, they're not really a good solution.  You need to configure all
the authoritative servers for the parent zone as stubs for the subzone.
This is because the parent's serial number won't change when the
subdomain's NS records change, so slave servers won't automatically pull
over the new parent zone with the updated delegation records.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA