is bind needed at all?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 5 23:09:17 UTC 2001

In article <9n6b3d$mjl at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Larry Dalrymple <admin at enforcerz.net> wrote:
>Hi
>I am using dynamic dns to have mydomain.net pointed to my own box.
>Do I need to be running dns/bind to run my own mailserver to mydomain.net
>also ?

No.  Whoever is hosting mydomain.net should put in an MX record that points
to your dynamic hostname.  But even without an MX record you should be able
to get mail, since an A record will be followed if there's no MX record
(the purpose of MX records is to specify that mail should be delivered
somewhere *other* than the host named in the address).

>Or should I be running a name caching only  named.conf ?

You certainly can, but that's not required.  You can use your ISP's
nameserver for resolving.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA