is bind needed at all?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Sep 6 00:20:28 UTC 2001

Pete Ehlke wrote:

> Larry Dalrymple (admin at enforcerz.net) said, on [010905 16:09]:
> > Hi
> > I am using dynamic dns to have mydomain.net pointed to my own box.
> > Do I need to be running dns/bind to run my own mailserver to mydomain.net
> > also ?
> >
> According to your whois information, you live in Nova Scotia.
> mydomain.net is in Los Gatos, California. Why would you want to try to
> point mydomain.net, which you do not own, to your own box?

People, I know that it's annoying when posters "anonymize" or "doctor" their
domain names, but please try to resist faking credulity (as in the above), or
at the very least give the poster *some* indication that you are doing so.
Otherwise it just leads to deeper misunderstandings, rising tempers, and
frankly, too much noise on the mailing list. There's nothing wrong with a
simple "What's the real domain name?" response. It doesn't need to be any
cleverer or more convoluted than that.