Community Service

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 6 17:56:12 UTC 2001

In article <9n8cok$68v at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Bill Manning  <bmanning at ISI.EDU> wrote:
>	Would it not be more helpful to encourage folks to "do their homework"
>	than to wear and waste your life away answering the same questions
>	multiple times aday?

In fact, many of my curt responses in newsgroups simply refer the poster to
the appropriate FAQ that would have answered their question.

But I'm not sure how to encourage folks to do their homework before they
post in the first place.  Again, this has the problem that the people you
want to encourage are the people who haven't yet posted and haven't read
your responses to other posters.  There's no way to reach these people.

>	How am I to know that Frodo Baggins is not the legitimate holder
>	of the domain he claims? Idiot or Asshole, just because I refuse
>	to run the whois traps to try and find out if the claimed delegation
>	is a placeholder?  I think not. I won't presuppose I have superiour
>	knowledge, "know full well this was not the domain he meant", or
>	fein stupidity, " *pretended* that you couldn't tell".  I presume that
>	the question poser is honest and forthwright. And I'll answer the
>	question as asked. But...

I don't have to use whois, common sense seems to work pretty well.  Or
maybe I'm just a good mind reader, so I should quit my job and start an act
in Vegas. :)

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA