[Sub Domain Question] Not administrator / I am hosted

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 6 18:34:22 UTC 2001

In article <9n8f02$6i3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Joy  <invalidemail at address.net> wrote:
>I am hosted with www.readyhosting.com on Win2K servers and have a
>registered domain in denmark (.dk)  ex.  http://www.fake.dk through
>www.websolutions.com and would love to have sub domains like
>http://portfolio.fake.dk or http://personal.fake.dk

Why do you consider www.fake.dk a domain and portfolio.fake.dk to be a
subdomain?  Aren't they both at the same level of the DNS hierarchy?  In
common parlance, fake.dk is the domain and both www.fake.dk and
portfolio.fake.dk are hostnames within in that domain.  It's only common to
call something a subdomain if you're going to create names within it,
e.g. www.portfolio.fake.dk.

>(I also dealt with another organization in denmark,
>www.dk-hostmaster.com, to which I had to pay fees to have my
>readyhosting nameservers added.)
>
>1. Is this possible?

Sure.  Just ask the administrator of the nameserver to add A records for
additional names in the domain.  There's nothing special about www.fake.dk,
they'are all just arbitrary names, and any name can point to any address.

>2. Is this something I'd have to set up on my own?

I don't think so.

>3. If 'No' to 2, which company/organization do I approach to set this
>up?

The folks who operate the nameserver for fake.dk, which is probably
readyhosting.com.

>4. Would I probably have to pay additional money?

Ask them, not us.  We don't know their pricing.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA